Bilboa is located on the boundary of Carlow in a beautiful and remote part of the Castlecomer plateau.
Without coal there would have been little settlement at Bilboa, but the cluster of families maintain its identity.
Bilboa National School opened in 1958
Detached three-bay Tudor Revival Church of Ireland church, built 1846, with crenelated entrance tower and granite dressings including clasping buttresses on octagonal plans having pinnacles and hood mouldings to openings. Interior retains original pews.